so i’m really into knitting lately, as you may have gathered.
these are “uppsala mittens,” something of a must-knit if you are a dyed in the wool (heh) uppsalabor or just want to express a little lokalpatriotism. the design shows uppsala cathedral.
the pattern and yarn are both from the local wool shop, yll & tyll.
they look rather enormous, because i knit them for joakim and went up a needle size in order to do so. he also chose the background colour, which i love. petrol blue is one of my favourite colours right now.
the yarn is, perhaps unsurprisingly, rauma finull, which i’m also really into lately. i used it for my last project and have already cast on another using the same yarn. it makes such a lovely drapey soft fabric and the colours – !
this was my first stranded knitting project and i’m pretty happy with the outcome. it’s not perfect, but a lot of the lumpiness was resolved in blocking, and now i have a better understanding of how loose the floats have to be. (i really thought i was making them loose enough on the first mitt, but alas).
knitting is so silly. it took a year to finish the first sock* and two days to do the second!
*because i was watching something and not paying attention when decreasing the gusset and made way too many decrease rounds, resulting in a sock fit for a large baby, and knit almost the whole foot before i noticed and had to rip back and then i was mad and put it away for a year … in the end it only took like half an evening to finish the foot anyway. bah!
weee i finished my jumper! to think it took just 4 1/2 months…
well honestly it wouldn’t have taken so long but the sleeves slowed me down. i knit both at once (back and forth) on a long circular, which paradoxically made the process both faster (by avoiding the dreaded second-sleeve syndrome) and slower ( i was often loathe to pick up the knitting when the sleeves were at their widest – 2 x 96 stitches in stockinette is nobody’s idea of a good time).
speaking of the sleeves – you can clearly see from these photos that they are quite … voluminous. i was a tad disapointed when i sewed it up and thought i must have done something wrong, although i followed the pattern and got gauge. a closer inspection of the pattern illustration, however, reveals the sweater is meant to be quite generous in the sleeves. perhaps to make it ‘sportier’? in retrospect, if i’d been aware of this design choice i would have knit up the body somewhat looser as well – or, you know, made the sleeves narrower. as it is i can feel that the two belong to quite different jumpers.
complaints aside, i’m happy with this sweater. it’s very comfortable and fills two big holes in my wardrobe – it’s both cabled and maroon. i’ve always wanted a jumper this colour.
the cast-on edges are all in 1×1 rib which looks great but is a bit time-consuming to do, and the neck edges are cast off with jeny’s surprisingly stretchy bind-off. truly this bind-off is a work of genius! i really don’t see how i would manage to get this narrow collar over my big noggin without it.
i was reminded with this project why people always complain about seaming up sweaters. it’s terrible! i couldn’t be arsed to convert the pattern to the round as i didn’t think seaming was such a big deal. now i’ve been reminded that it’s nothing like normal hand sewing and also terrible. mental note: in future always work in the round. this won’t be an issue with my next project!
project details: (and here’s the ravelry page if you’re into that kind of thing)